Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Swing sets and Monkey bars...

A couple weeks before we left for Germany, I babysat two little girls and took them to the park. Little did I know that God had a lesson to teach me by being with them for an hour!

The younger one, two years old, took me by the hand and led me to the swing set. I asked if she wanted to swing but she said no, so I sat down on the swing instead. Giggling, she pushed me from behind and I lifted my feet off the ground so I would move a bit. I dragged my feet in the sand as the swing went backwards so I wouldn't knock her little body over. Meanwhile, the older sister, three years old, had wandered off to the monkey bars. Soon I heard her soft but excited voice, "Kristyn, can you lift me up?" I went over and hoisted her up so she could reach the bars, and held her all the way as she crossed the ones ahead of her.

I had to smile as I thought of the differences in the two girls' personalities––one thinking she was helping me have fun by "pushing" me on the swings, and the other one having fun, but knowing she needed my help. But then I thought...which one of those sisters am I more like? When it comes to my relationship with God (who may not be my babysitter, but he is my Protector and Provider), how do I act with him?

Often I can be like the two-year-old, thinking that I am doing a favor for God, when in fact I am trying to move Someone who is bigger, greater, stronger and more wise than myself. But what I want to be like is the three-year-old, acknowledging that I need my Heavenly Father's help for every step that I take, every challenge that I face. The way the three-year old acted is a good picture of faith. She could have determined that since she couldn't do it by herself, it wouldn't be worth it. Instead, she used every ounce of strength that she had, while at the same time relying completely on me. That is what faith is––not sitting back passively, thinking that God will simply do everything and we can just relax. Nor is it striving on our own strength, refusing to acknowledge that we simply can’t do life alone.

I’ve been reminded every day since being here in Germany that it is not by my strength, nor by my power, but by the Spirit of the Lord that I am able to do what God has called me to (Zechariah 4:6). The days when I fail to acknowledge this are the days that I get the most easily frustrated.

In life, we need to be like the older sister, asking our Heavenly Father to "lift us up." I read Psalm 61 the other day and love verse two, which says, "lead me to the rock that is higher than I." If we are drowning or overwhelmed, we need to find safety, security, and shelter in something that is Higher than ourselves, namely, Jesus Christ––our Solid Rock. To do so isn't a sign of weakness; it's a sign of maturity.

Maybe this song can be an encouragement to you, a reminder of our Father who is "King over the Flood."

{http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHATCAvlqQA&feature=related}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, friend! Thanks for reading. I'd love to hear from you:

01 09 10