Monday, October 24, 2011

Herr, ich komme zu dir...

Music is my "heart language." It's one way I connect best with God, and I love leading music so that others can connect with God through it as well. 

Being here in Germany has been a bit challenging in the sense that I can't speak my own 'heart language' as often or as easily as I could in Canada. You don't know how relieving and refreshing it is to hear an English song in church! Sometimes it's the only part of a worship service that I understand.

At the same time, I am learning some new songs here. When you don't know a language very well and you're learning something new, you tend to analyze everything. Learning German songs is proving to be a helpful way for me to learn the language better....The words rhyme and flow, and the melodies stick in my mind throughout the day, giving me time to mull over the depth and meaning of the lyrics.

So I want to share with you a song that I have recently learned. The words are powerful!


Herr, ich komme zu dir, und ich steh' vor dir so wie ich bin
 Lord, I come to you, and I stand before you just as I am
Alles was mich bewegt lege ich vor dich hin. 
 Everything that moves me, I lay before you
Herr, ich komme zu dir, und ich schütte mein Herz bei dir aus
Lord I come to you, and I pour out my heart
Was mich hindert ganz bei dir zu sein räume aus!
 What hinders me to be with you has no place

Meine Sorgen sind dir nicht verborgen, du wirst sorgen für mich. 
My worries are not hidden from you, you will take care of me
Voll Vertrauen will ich auf dich schauen. Herr, ich baue auf dich!
 Full of confidence I will look toward you. Lord, I rely on you!

Gib mir ein neues ungeteiltes Herz. Lege ein neues Lied in meinen Mund. 
Give me a new, undivided heart. Put a new song in my mouth.
Fülle mich neu mit deinem Geist, denn du bewirkst dein Lob in mir.
 Fill me fresh with your Spirit, then you create your praise in me.

My favorite line is "Gib mir ein neues ungeteiltes Herz." Give me a new, undivided heart - that's the theme of this blog - Pursuing One Thing. Our hearts are not pure if we're going in different directions. Christ wants our undivided attention, our undivided affection, our undivided obedience. 

Praying that God would give you and me a new, undivided heart today, and a new song in our mouths that we may be filled afresh with his Spirit and live out his praise!

4 comments:

  1. dear Kristyn,

    it sounds like there is so much to absorb & learn in your new environment! Thanks for sharing from your experience in worshiping God with a new song :)

    I so often take worshiping God in English for granted, and appreciate your reminder to really pay attention to what I'm saying in song!

    May He keep gracing you with perseverance and give you joy in the new relationships and possibilities in this exciting & stretching experience.

    You are missed but we're so glad you're stepping out in obedience. Proud of you both!

    PS I can't wait to hear what new songs spring forth :)
    I have a particular song in mind... one that waits for a moment of Skype-song work-shopping ( ; ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. English version:-

    Lord, I come here to you,
    no illusions about how I am
    all my troubles I put in your bountiful hands
    Lord, I come here to you
    and I pour out my heart as I pray
    any barrier to being with you, take away
    You'll supply me with strength for each trial
    I rely on your care
    Fears and worries won't weaken my courage
    Lord, I trust you'll be there
    Give me a new and undivided heart
    Come, put a new made song into my mouth
    Fill me anew and with your Spirit's grace
    I'll sing your worthy praise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment! What a great, singable version.

      I'm not sure if you're following my other posts on Pursuing One Thing, but I've actually switched sites and am blogging now at www.deepcriesout.com . You're welcome to join me there :) Kristyn

      Delete
  3. Kristyn,

    Thank you and God bless all your endeavours.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, friend! Thanks for reading. I'd love to hear from you:

01 09 10