Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Enslaved.




"Today has been declared Shine A Light On Slavery Day by the folks at the End It Movement."


Did you know that:
  • there are 27 million men, women and children, just like you, living in the shadows. In brothels. In factories. In Quarries. Working as slaves. In 161 countries. Including our own.
  • YOU can do something against it

The Lord has been stirring mine and my husband's hearts lately about the whole theme of social justice. Sometimes the need seems so great - what can we do? And when, if ever, are we doing enough? The "seashell story" is a huge encouragement, a reminder to never underestimate the impact we can make in one person's life, therefore changing the world.

My parents taught me that "the need is not the call." It's been a helpful guideline in my life as I've learned to say no to certain things and not let myself be pulled in all directions. Obedience is all that matters, not people-pleasing or doing good works to feel good about myself. But, as my husband added, "Although the need is not the call, sometimes we miss the call because we aren't willing to see the need."


If we would just open our eyes and let God "break our hearts for what breaks His," we would see need all around us! And more importantly, opportunities to meet that need. And if we would just obey the Holy Spirit - each of us doing his part - the world around us would be transformed.

I don't necessarily need to invent the wheel, so I want to recommend this article from Shaun Grove's blog: "4 Ways You Can Help End Slavery." It's moving, but not just in the emotional sense; it motivates to action.

And what are we doing to "End It"? A couple thoughts:
  • Being informed is a great start. Letting our eyes be opened. I came across a trailer recently for a movie being released this Friday in America....My friends in the USA, could you go for me? I have no idea when it will come out in Germany, but I would love to see it! It is called "Not Today" and focuses on the issue of human trafficking in India. More information here: http://www.nottodaythemovie.com/ "Your ticket in is their ticket out..."
 
  • I've written about it before, but one simple yet practical way my husband and I believe we are making a difference is by making informed shopping choices. The "Fair Trade" label is of huge value - ensuring that the people who work to produce our clothing, our chocolate, our coffee, or harvest our fruit were all paid fair wages, treated well, and were not abused at the hands of the slavery spiral.  

  • And thirdly, as I've also written about before, another step could be child sponsorship. I am now officially an Advocate on behalf of Compassion Deutschland, and would love to give you resources or help connect you if you're interested in finding out more. Did you know that their method s are scientifically proven to work? Check out this research project: http://www.compassion.com/poverty-facts.htm?referer=128018. Investing into one child's life could protect them from becoming enslaved! Help "Release a Child from Poverty in Jesus' Name!"



  • I read Isaiah 61 this morning and the words hit me again: "The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is upon ME..." How does God want to use ME to make a difference? To promote justice? He has "anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captive and release from darkness for the prisoners, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor...to comfort all who mourn...and provide for those who grieve..." Who in my life today needs good news? Needs binding up? Needs freedom, needs light, needs favor, needs comfort? God wants to use my hands and feet, and tangibly display His glory through me in the details of this day. 


From James 2:

"Dear friends, do you think you’ll get anywhere in this if you learn all the right words but never do anything? Does merely talking about faith indicate that a person really has it? For instance, you come upon an old friend dressed in rags and half-starved and say, “Good morning, friend! Be clothed in Christ! Be filled with the Holy Spirit!” and walk off without providing so much as a coat or a cup of soup—where does that get you? Isn’t it obvious that God-talk without God-acts is outrageous nonsense?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, friend! Thanks for reading. I'd love to hear from you:

01 09 10