Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Because He Is I Am...

Having been sent by Yahweh with the command to confront Pharaoh and rescue God's chosen people, Moses timidly asks the Voice coming from the burning bush, "Who should I tell them sent me?"

God answered Moses: "I am who I am. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I am has sent me to you’” (Exodus 3:14).

In Scripture, God reveals Himself as the Great I Am. What deep, powerful characteristics there are in God choosing to reveal Himself through that name!

Consider the following "I Am" statements, from the beginning of the Bible to the end:

"I am your shield, your very great reward" (Genesis 15:1)
He's our Protector.
 
"I am God Almighty" (Gen. 17:1)
Nothing is impossible for Him. 

"I am the Lord your God" (Ex 20:2 - Ten Commandments)
He is worthy of our love, respect and obedience.
 
"I am compassionate" (Ex 22:27)
 So very thankful for a God who is slow to anger.

"I am holy" (Lev 11:44)
Therefore we are called to reflect His holiness too.
 
"Be still, and know that I am God" (Ps 46:10)
Sometimes just knowing that He Is is enough.

"I am always with you" (Ps 73:23, Is 41:10)
Never alone. Ever.

"I am the first and I am the last" (Is 44:6)
He will be faithful to bring to completion that which He has begun.

"I am faithful" (Jer 3:12)
 A God who never breaks His promises, Who is always true to His word.

"I am gentle and humble in heart" (Matt 11:29)
And He offers for me to exchange my heavy burden for His light yoke.

I am willing” (Luke 5:13)
Perhaps one of the most powerful "I Am" statements in Scripture - He is willing to heal, willing to hear, willing to help.

I am the bread of life" (John 6:35)
I can be fully satisfied from Him alone.

I am the light of the world" (John 8:12)
In His presence, darkness must flee.

"I am not of this world" (John 8:23)
His thoughts are higher than mine.

"I am the gate" (John 10:7)
He is interceding for me; He Himself is the Door through which I can approach the throne of grace.

I am the good shepherd" (John 10:11)
Protecting, guiding, feeding, disciplining, teaching.

I am the resurrection and the life" (John 11:25)
Because He lives, I can face tomorrow... 

I am the way and the truth and the life" (John 14:6)
He doesn't just point out the way; He Himself IS the Way and invites me to follow.

I am the true vine" (John 15:1)
And oh, the possibilities of what I too can be when I abide in Him...

I am the Alpha and the Omega...who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty” (Rev 1:8)
 Always. Eternal. Everlasting. Without end.

"I am the Living One; I was dead, and now look, I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades" (Rev 1:18)
My God's not dead; my Redeemer lives!



So if God is the Great "I AM", what does that make me?

Because He Is, I am...

One of the greatest mysteries of faith is the spiritual reality that we are IN Christ. Our lives are now "hidden with Christ in God" (Col. 3:3). And at the same time, Christ is in us (Col 1:27). Jesus said He was one with His Father, and also said that we are in Him ("I in them and you [Father] in me", He prayed in John 17:23). So if Jesus is in us, and the Father is in Him, that means God is in us! This happens through the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit, God's Spirit. 

The Great Yahweh Who introduced Himself as "I AM" enables us to also be.


Did not Jesus say that WE are the light of the world, the salt of the earth? Are we not commanded also to be holy? Does Scripture not proclaim that because He lives, we also may live? Are we not also called to be faithful, compassionate, and willing?

These are things that God IS, and that we are also called to be. Made possible because we are in Christ, and He is in us. Like a bottle filled with water in the ocean - floating in the very substance it contains.



This encourages me that I can love, because I have "God is Love" dwelling within me.
I am reminded that I can serve, because the One who took a towel and washed His disciples' feet lives in me by His Spirit.
I never need to be short on wisdom, since I have the Spirit of the Creator who spoke the universe into existence taking up residence in my heart.
I am able to show mercy, I can teach, prophesy, heal. I can, because HE IS.

Jesus working through me, building His kingdom using my hands and feet and voice.

Who is the "I AM" to you, and Who do you need Him to be through you today?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, friend! Thanks for reading. I'd love to hear from you:

01 09 10