Monday, February 3, 2014

Knowing His Voice

Leading...protecting...disciplining...carrying...providing. The job of a German Shepherd.

No, not a 4-legged furry animal, but a real German man whose job is shepherding. I was privileged to meet one this week.

I was at our ministry base (located at the edge of a village nestled in the hills) and about to head home for the afternoon break when I heard the sound of bleating. I rounded the corner and saw not just one “baaa-ing” sheep, but 480 of them walking the path up to a hill! And at the front of the flock, a young, friendly, gentle man, leading them to fresh pasture.



What a sight! Once they made it up the hill they spread out and began grazing. The young lambs loved exploring, and the faithful sheep dogs were ever on watch to keep the flock together. Meanwhile, we visited with the German Shepherd.







This man literally knows all 480 sheep individually and can recognize their faces. And they know his voice! I caught this video clip of him simply saying “Come, come!” and calling them together when it was time to move onto greener pasture:



What if hearing our Good Shepherd’s voice was so simple? In John 10:14, Jesus says, “I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me.” Notice in the video that the shepherd didn’t have to shout, and only repeated his invitation once. Just after turning my camera off, I noticed two little lambs left behind in the field. They had been too busy with their faces in the grass, eating, and then looked up at each other, as if suddenly realizing, “Oops, I think we missed something!” They skipped off to catch up with the rest of the group, with those of us observing encouraging them, “Come on little guys, follow the voice of your shepherd!”

What amazed me was the sheep’s obedience, despite not knowing where their shepherd was leading them. They simply trusted his voice, and even if they were enjoying eating or drinking or resting, as soon as he called, they came, knowing something better was ahead.

Are we that obedient when our Shepherd calls? It can be hard to obey if we don’t know that our Shepherd is GOOD. But He is.

“The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths
for his name’s sake.”





His goal is to care for us - to lead, provide, protect. “He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young.” (Is. 40:11)

“For the Lamb at the center of the throne will be their shepherd; ‘he will lead them to springs of living water.’” (Rev. 7:17)

Two babies had been born to the flock just that morning, and the German shepherd left them in the previous pasture with their mother since the lambs couldn’t walk yet. So he didn’t venture far with his flock, but he accepted his responsibility to lead, to provide.


And he indeed had a staff in his hands - ready to protect, defend, and discipline if necessary. “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.” (John 10:11).

That is how good our Shepherd is - laying down his very life for us so that we could live in abundance, not lacking anything. He knows where good pasture is; he guides us along the best paths. He anoints us with healing oil, and removes the burrs that get attached to us when we choose to wander off on our own.




And our responsibility? Simply to listen to his voice and obey. You don't have to strain to hear it; you already know it. It's the voice that first called you to Him, inviting you into relationship and offering the gift of salvation.

Praying, friends, that you will receive what you need from your Shepherd today: guidance, refreshment, provision, rest.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, friend! Thanks for reading. I'd love to hear from you:

01 09 10