Thursday, April 17, 2014

Easter Treats and Truths

Our little one isn't even born yet, but I did something today that I think I want to turn into a tradition and do every year with my kids at Easter: baking with a purpose! (What can I say...I'm a teacher at heart and if I can combine a meaningful lesson with fun and food, why not? :) )

These 'Resurrection Rolls' are yummy, fun to make, and a great symbol of the true meaning of Easter. You simply wrap a marshmellow in dough, and when the rolls are finished cooking, the inside is hollow and empty - just like the tomb was!

He is not here: for he is arisen! (Matthew 28:6)

You can make these sweet treats using pre-made crescent roll or Pilsbury dough, but since we don't have that here in Germany and I like to make things from scratch anyway, I've included the instructions for everything (adapted from Love From Scratch.) Below are some snapshots of my afternoon...

To begin with, the ingredients (this makes about 48 rolls):




1 1/2 cups scalded milk 

2 eggs

6 cups flour 

2 teaspoons salt 

4 Tablespoons sugar 

3/4 cup butter 

3 teaspoons yeast 



1 cup butter 

1 cup sugar 

2 Tablespoons cinnamon 

48 marshmallows


And now, the directions (simple but time consuming):

Combine first 8 ingredients. Let rise until doubled. (I let mine rise for about an hour, and though it hadn't doubled it worked out fine)


Divide into 48 balls and flatten. 

Mix sugar and cinnamon together. 


Dip marshmallows in melted margarine, then into sugar mixture. 

This represents the oils and spices that the body was prepared with after the Savior's death. 


Wrap roll around a marshmallow, sealing completely.

This represents his body being laid in the tomb.

Sprinkle the top of the rolls with the sugar mixture. Place them in a large greased pan and allow to rise till double (approx. 35 min). Bake at 375 for about 15 minutes.



And enjoy!

(A few tips from my experience...the pans really should be greased, even if using parchment paper like I did, since the marshmellow 'bursts' and leaks, leaving a sticky mess. Also, next time I think I would use only half a marshmellow per roll - you get the same effect, without the roll popping open during the baking process.)



HAPPY EASTER! He is risen!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, friend! Thanks for reading. I'd love to hear from you:

01 09 10