Monday, November 18, 2013

Dear Friend

Dear Friend in the Philippines,

To brothers, sisters, parents; to teachers, to police officers, to rescue workers.

To Lorraine, a friend I've never met personally but written letters to since I was young; and to Audrey, our precious 9-year old sponsor child.  

I cannot imagine how your life has been turned upside down in the last week.
I'm not sure how to express my sorrow for you and your lost homes, family members, and resources.
I feel guilty sitting here, safely indoors with a blanket and cup of tea, unable to comprehend the depth of pain and chaos that your country is going through right now.

I would like to hug you, invite you into my home, cook you a warm meal, and pray for you.

Image Credit: CNN News

I don't understand how or why such catastrophes happen.

But I want you to know that you're not alone.

I want you to know that though we've never met, I'm praying for you. And though I can't personally comfort you, I know that our Father in heaven has promised the greatest Comforter of all time - the Holy Spirit, to be with you forever. 

And I also know that you need more than prayer. Your country is devastated and your countrymen are in need of basic supplies. That's why I've donated to organizations such as Compassion, who are helping provide urgent aid to affected children and families (click here to donate, too). And there are dozens of other groups, ministries, churches, and people who are stepping up. You aren't alone. 

In the middle of such enormous loss, I am encouraged to hear reports about how God WAS there, and how He IS there still. 

In the picture below, you can see a what looks like a piece of cake (upper left corner) that was spared from the typhoon. 


The Lord is your Defender, your Healer, your Strong Deliverer. 
He  "upholds the cause of the oppressed
    and gives food to the hungry.
The Lord sets prisoners free,
   the Lord gives sight to the blind,
the Lord lifts up those who are bowed down,
    the Lord loves the righteous. 
 The Lord watches over the foreigner
    and sustains the fatherless and the widow..." (Psalm 146:7-9)

 May you know that sustaining love today; that peace, comfort, protection and freedom. 

And may you be well-fed, warm, taken care of, and loved...knowing that you're not alone.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, friend! Thanks for reading. I'd love to hear from you:

01 09 10